Hire Immigrants OttawaHow to Replicate
Subject of Analysiscredentials recognition, employment of internationally trained immigrants, immigrant talent
Creating Opportunities for the Integration of Immigrants into the Ottawa Labour Market
Hire Immigrants Ottawa (HIO) is an award winning community-based initiative that brings together employers, immigrant agencies and stakeholders to enhance employers’ ability to access the talents of skilled immigrants in the Ottawa area. The initiative was launched in 2006 as a response to a growing need to identify and address barriers faced by employers in the hiring and integration of skilled immigrants into the labour force. HIO’s mandate is to increase the capacity of employers in the region to effectively hire and integrate skilled immigrants into skills-appropriate positions.
1. Convene and Collaborate with Partners and Stakeholders
- An Employer Council of Champions – a cross-sector council of senior executives that promote the effective labour market integration of skilled immigrants.
- Sector-specific working groups (information technology, health, finance, biotech and public sectors) address systemic barriers in their respective sectors.
2. Build Employer Capacity
- Deliver programs and events that provide employers with tools and resources to enhance their capacity to more effectively hire and integrate skilled immigrants into their workplaces. These include cross-cultural competency workshops, and coaching and networking events that connect employers and immigrants.
3. Raise Public Awareness
- Promote greater understanding of the economic value that immigrants bring to Ottawa.
- Disseminate information about employer resources and promising practices.
Since its inception, HIO has made significant contributions to Ottawa’s labour force and immigrants’ employment. Participating employer organizations have hired more than 1,000 immigrants into appropriate skills positions. HIO has supported the efforts of more than 100 employers to make systemic changes to their HR policies and practices, including recruitment and retention practices, and cross-cultural competency building. Through its engagement activities, HIO has reached more than 500 employers, creating awareness, providing resources, and facilitating linkages with community partners and stakeholders. See HIO’s Five Year Report for more information.