WOW 2022: Call for Events Is Now OpenMay 9, 2022
Ottawa Local Immigration partnership (OLIP) cordially invites you to contribute an event to the 2022 Welcoming Ottawa Week (WOW) that will be held on June 20 – 30.
WOW is an annual series of dialogues, cultural and celebratory events, sports activities, documentary screenings, and other fun events, designed to convey the genuine welcome and hospitality of Ottawa residents to newcomers, while providing opportunities for quality interactions between newcomers and long-time residents. This year’s WOW will also recognize the impact of the pandemic on newcomers and racialized residents.
WOW events are required to include immigrants and refugees, discuss topics related to newcomer settlement and integration, or celebration of diversity. The events should also take place during the WOW 2022 timeframe (June 20th – 30th).
WOW events can be any of the following categories:
- Guided Tours: walking tours, bike/ bus tours, museum tours etc.
- Business & Entrepreneurship: employer meet & greet, job search networking etc.
- Sports Activities & Tournaments: soccer, cricket, Tai Chi, Yoga, etc.
- Food Related Events: Cooking classes, food tasting, restaurant tours etc.
- Design & Creativity: Fashion show, events showcasing creative and innovative ideas that meet community needs.
- Culture Activities: arts/photo exhibits, activities showcasing artistic and intellectual contribution of immigrants.
- Poetry, Music & Story Telling: Poetry and comedy nights, concerts, and other artistic activity to illustrate diverse rich cultures in your community.
- Learning Events: Book launch, Open house, academic seminars on topics related to diversity and welcoming communities.
- Civic Engagements: citizenship ceremonies, town hall meeting, meet & greet activity with a local elected official.
- Documentary/ Film Screening: documentary screening followed by a panel discussion on topics adversely affecting marginalized communities such as the COVID-19 pandemic, mental health, racism, housing, etc.
Still need ideas, consult our comprehensive list of suggested WOW event categories.
- Host an event that showcases your involvement with immigrants and refugees, celebrates newcomers’ contributions or creates new bonds among neighbours. Do not delay; register your WOW 2022 event online before June 5, 2022.
- Distribute the WOW Call for Events Flyer to partners or individuals who you think may be interested in hosting a WOW event.
- Follow-us on social media to stay informed on #WOW2022 developments: Facebook/OttawaLIP | Twitter @OLIP_PLIO
If you have questions or ideas, please contact Nyamulola Kambanji at email@example.com